What is an Intraoral Camera?
The intraoral camera is a digital device used to examine and assess your dental health. It produces magnified, high-resolution images on a screen that helps your dentist perform a detailed examination of the mouth including the areas that can not be easily accessed or visualized. Your dentist can use these images to help you understand your dental problems and visualize areas that have been treated.
How is the Intraoral Camera Used?
Prior to the using the intraoral camera, it is disinfected and a thin disposable film or sheath may be placed on its tip to prevent contamination between patients. Your dentist will place the camera into your mouth and position it to capture enlarged images of the teeth, gums, and the rest of the mouth. Some of the conditions that can be examined with an intraoral camera include:
- Fractured teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Bleeding gums
- Tooth decay
- Dental plaque
- Broken dental fillings
- Oral cancer and other lesions
Benefits of Intraoral Camera in Dentistry
Benefits of the intraoral camera in dentistry include:
- Better understanding of oral health: It helps in the detailed examination of all the areas of the mouth to provide awareness regarding your dental hygiene.
- High-tech imaging: It produces real-time, magnified, high-resolution images of the different areas of the mouth.
- Painless procedure: This is a painless,non-invasive procedure.
- Early detection of dental conditions: Early detection and treatment is the key factor to avoid time-consuming and invasive techniques.
- Improves accuracy of treatment: Obtaining accurate images of the teeth and gums helps improve the accuracy of treatment.
- Detailed dental documentation: The images may be obtained before, during, and after treatment to record and evaluate the patient’s progress with treatment and they may also be printed when necessary.
- Insurance coverage: Intraoral images can be helpful while obtaining insurance coverage as it provides your insurer with a clear representation of your dental condition.